My Real Experience as a Hispanic Teacher in the USA: Overcoming Barriers and Celebrating Heritage



I remember the exact moment I arrived at my classroom in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I had dreamed of being a teacher in the U.S. for years, but when I opened the door to my classroom, what I saw took me by surprise: a place covered in dust and neglect, like a forgotten corner in time. At that moment, I understood that the path would be much more challenging than I had imagined. I had idealized the country and education, and something inside me said that this couldn’t happen in this country.

My idea of education in the U.S. was a golden dream. I thought everything would be perfect, but reality was a lesson in humility. That classroom seemed to have been forgotten by the years, like a storage room for the school: a room that had been closed for years, full of dust, old books, and disordered chairs, all covered in a gray layer of dust. At that moment, I felt like I was facing an insurmountable mountain.

I kept thinking about doing and doing, but deep down I thought, "This can't be happening to me in the USA." It was like those expectations vs. reality images; it felt as if fate was playing a cruel joke on me.

With the very kind Mr. Ash, the principal, by my side, the challenge began. While he carried furniture and books alone, something that surprised me and still impresses me, I joined the task with an energy I didn’t know I had, just three days after arriving in the country. Every corner of the classroom needed to be redesigned. Anxiety accompanied me as I counted the days for the students to arrive. I had to work magic; I had only one week!

On the first Friday, while I cleaned and decorated with the help of generous teachers who became guardian angels, I felt like a marathon runner in the final stretch. Despite the exhaustion, I saw my classroom beginning to come to life. Every corner and every detail transformed into a reflection of my dreams.

There were moments when the pressure was so intense that I felt on the brink of despair. The sleepless nights preparing for classes, the endless hours cleaning the classroom, and the feeling of being in a completely new world, different from what I had imagined, were exhausting. However, each challenge became an opportunity to grow and learn, and that kept me going.

Throughout that first month, I adapted very slowly; it was truly difficult for me. I remember one date as if it were the clearest memory of my journey: when in September the school celebrated Hispanic Heritage. It was an event that became a source of strength. I remembered my roots and incorporated traditional stories and cultural celebrations into the lessons. Seeing my students participate in activities related to my culture not only enriched their learning but also helped me feel more connected with my new community.

One of the most gratifying moments was when my students carried out a project on our traditions. They not only learned about Hispanic culture but also developed a greater appreciation for diversity. Seeing their faces light up as they discovered new customs and traditions was an invaluable reward for all the effort invested.

Despite the difficulties, what seemed like chaos turned into a personal victory. My dream of being a teacher in the U.S. was taking shape, and over time, I realized the hard work I had put in. Although my health suffered a bit, I learned to handle it over the years.

When I think about my story and the stories of the thousands of Hispanics who have gone through situations much more challenging than mine, I understand why traveling and living in a country with a different culture and way of life is so demanding. Arriving new in a country means giving it your all, whether you have little or much, adapting and accepting that customs and life are different. You have to open your mind, change paradigms and beliefs, and accept that, in that place, you are the one who must change.

Finally, the effort and sacrifice led me to a moment of deep pride and admiration for my Hispanic heritage. At that moment that I decided to create an educational resource to work with children in the classroom, inspired by my own experience and the richness of our culture. In the end, dreams do come true, lessons inspire, and experiences make us greater and more creative.



To all the educators reading this, I encourage you to share your own stories and explore how your personal experiences with your students can enrich your teaching. Sometimes, what seems like an obstacle can become a source of inspiration and creativity. Never underestimate the power of your dreams and experiences!















Comments