Is Columbus Day Still Relevant? From History to Growth

 

Focusing only on what happened after the discovery would be a mistake. You cannot understand history from just one perspective.

If "discover" has a positive meaning, we can use that idea to share a constructive message about something we celebrate, commemorate, or remember every year. If an event that we remember, commemorate, or celebrate each year causes so much pain, I only see two paths: either it's best to forget it, or we simply approach it from a learning perspective. 

When I present this topic to my students, I aim to inspire them and leave a deep lesson with each historical milestone, something we can apply in our lives.

Values like discovering, undertaking, taking risks, and having passion are some of the aspects I highlight about Christopher Columbus. Traveling around 532 years ago required more than bravery; one had to be a visionary, a man of faith. 

I don’t intend to glorify Christopher Columbus; I focus more on actions than on people. I look for the best in events to inspire my students, help them learn, and encourage their growth.

When we work on this topic in class, I focus on inspiring my students to discover the greatness within them. It is through those who have achieved what seems impossible that children and all of us can see that the ordinary can become extraordinary. 

I remember the day my group had to make a presentation about Christopher Columbus. This type of role play, which is prepared in 15 minutes, is very spontaneous. Imagine the kids dressed in the style of the time, representing Queen Isabella and Columbus as an entrepreneur pitching his idea for funding.

I asked the students to imagine the current situation so that the historical "Christopher Columbus" could achieve his goal. Lucas, a very creative boy who never stops talking, decided to be Christopher Columbus. 

He got so into the character that he thought he was Elon Musk and concluded that if he wanted to discover new lands, Earth was already too small; he could conquer new worlds too.

Queen Isabella was a very prestigious banker. Lucas had only two minutes to convince her. He stood in front of the queen and said, "Do you want to discover diamonds and precious materials never before seen on this planet?" The queen responded with a trembling "yes." "Do you want to be just a simple banker or the owner of this and many banks? Give me money to travel and conquer other planets. I know there is life there and very valuable materials. I will bring them to you when I return with my crew."

Queen Isabella looked at him, scared, while the other kids shouted, "Yes, yes, yes! You will get richer!" 

Finally, the queen agreed. He barely convinced her; she wanted him to go to America and bring back gold. 

The queen said, "But you didn’t submit papers to bring back gold from America." Lucas replied, "That already happened; they got ahead of me. Better invest in my new plan."

The conclusion of the story is that Lucas talked a lot but also knew how to sell.

After analyzing the story, the children reflected on what Columbus had to do and, most importantly, who he had to be to risk his life in search of new lands.

Many concluded that he loved to travel, was a bit crazy, believed in his project, studied a lot before making his decision, was brave, and above all, fought for what he wanted.

This way, I inspired that day and gave meaning to the class, a day when history transcends facts. I know they won’t forget that if someone with so few resources managed to get so far, they, with what they have, can discover what hasn’t crossed their minds yet.

If you like to inspire and reflect with your students, check out my store and a straightforward  resource I designed for my students about Columbus Day.

Comments